Novel Flow Sheet for Low Energy CO2 Capture Enabled by Biocatalyst Delivery System
Project No.: DE-FE0012862
Akermin is conducting laboratory and integrated bench-scale pilot testing to validate the performance of their next generation Biocatalyst Delivery System (BDS). This effort builds upon work conducted under a previous project. The novel system enables on-stream replacement of the catalyst and enables integration with an advanced process flow scheme. Akermin is exploring an enzyme-enabled advanced process flow scheme with non-volatile capture solutions, AKM-24 and potassium carbonate. The advanced process flow scheme is projected to have lower parasitic energy requirements and lower capital costs resulting in greater than 30 percent reduction in the cost of capture. The novel flow sheet enabled by the biocatalyst permits regeneration at lower temperatures allowing heat integration with the lowest grade steam from the power plant and minimizing water consumption. The existing 500 standard liters per minute (SLPM) bench unit will be modified to incorporate the next-generation BDS, accommodate the new process flow scheme, and reduce heat loss for better quantification of energy performance. The modified bench unit will be operated at the National Carbon Capture Center on actual flue gas.
|Related Papers and Publications:
- Budget Period 1 Review Meeting Presentation [PDF] (July 2015)
- Novel Flow Sheet for Low Energy CO2 Capture Enabled by Biocatalyst Delivery System [PDF] (June 2015)
Presented by Alex Zaks, Akermin Inc., 2015 NETL CO2 Capture Technology Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA
- 12th Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies (GHGT-12) Conference Presentation [PDF] (October 2014)
- Novel Flow Sheet for Low Energy CO2 Capture Enabled by Biocatalyst Delivery System [PDF] (July 2014)
Presented by John Reardon, Akermin Inc., 2014 NETL CO2 Capture Technology Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA
- Novel Flow Sheet for Low Energy CO2 Capture Enabled by Biocatalyst Delivery System [PDF] (Nov 2013) Project kick off meeting presentation, November 22, 2013.
- Novel Flow Sheet for Low Energy CO2 Capture Enabled by Biocatalyst Delivery System Fact Sheet (Coming Soon)
- For further information on this project, contact the NETL Project Manager, Andrew Jones.