CCS and Power Systems
Advanced Energy Systems - Hydrogen Turbines
Advanced Filtration to Improve Single Crystal Casting Yield
Performer: Mikro Systems Inc.
Project No: SC0008266
- Two types of production secondary filter parts have been obtained from PCC’s foundry and examined at Mikro. Neither of the two production options for filtration available to the market today fully satisfies the needs of the foundry. The foam filter is an effective filter with a torturous path and high surface area, but is non-uniform and prone to damage. The extruded filter is robust and uniform, but is not as effective at removing impurities. The cast TOMO filter has the potential of providing the best of both conditions with a uniform engineered com-plex internal structure.
- Primary filters consisting of three different designs were CAD modeled, tooling was fabricated, and two of each design were produced at Mikro.
- Secondary filters consisting of three different designs were CAD modeled, tooling was fabricated, and two of each design were produced at Mikro.
- Specifications for a water test unit were acquired and constructed by an outside test facility. The rig contained pressure sensors to determine flow resistance, and dye injection points to visually evaluate flow turbulence.
- The in-line (secondary) filters produced at Mikro have been flow tested against two different production filter types. The results show a much greater uniformity of the cast TOMO parts as compared to the standards.
- Awarded Phase II SBIR.