CCS and Power Systems
Advanced Energy Systems - Hydrogen Turbines
Demonstration of Enabling Spar-Shell Cooling Technology in Gas Turbines
Performer: Florida Turbine Technologies Inc.
Project No: FE0006696
Produced a viable design concept which continues to be developed within the detailed design phase.
- Completed extensive engineering calculations and analysis of the feasibility of the mechanical design, including cooling and structural aspects.
- Conducted failure modes and effects analyses (FMEA's) to identify the pertinent technical risks and to define mitigation plans to counter these risks.
- Established an agreement with Siemens Energy, Inc., to participate in this project.
- Identified a suitable test vehicle, and a target date for insertion of spar-shell turbine components into that vehicle was defined.
- Performed high-fidelity thermal and structural analyses to support the feasibility of the detailed design.
- Completed the detailed design of a spar-shell vane.
- Released casting details to production.
- Completed design verification and validation testing of the heat transfer and sealing aspects of the design.
- Completed detailed design reviews.
- Facilitated fabrication feasibility and cost assessments with FTT manufacturing and procurement support.
- Completed product definition (drawings, computer-aided design (CAD) models, etc.).
- Fabricated prototype models to demonstrate/illustrate the design concept and to prove the manufacturing feasibility of the concept.
- Completed definition of instrumentation requirements and wrote instrumentation specification.
- Completed manufacture of airfoil (shell) castings.
- Completed manufacture of internal spar castings.