Geologic Sequestration Site Characterization (GSSC) -
Recovery Act: An Evaluation of the Carbon Sequestration Potential of the Cambro-Ordovician Strata of the Illinois and Michigan Basins
Performer: University of Illinois
Project No: FE0002068
- Compilation of existing available data was completed.
- An Injection test of 333 metric tons of CO2 in Hancock County, KY was completed by Kentucky Geologic Survey in September 2010.
- Knox group cores were successfully retrieved during well drilling at MGSC field test in October 2010
- A public open house meeting was held at Hancock County, KY in October 2010 to present findings and get input from the local community.
- Processing of the 3-D vertical seismic profile (VSP) data on the Hancock County, KY injection well site was completed in March 2011.
- Acquisition of 120 mile 2-D seismic data was completed in February 2011.
- Processing of 120 mile 2-D seismic data was completed in April 2011.
- Preliminary project data was delivered to NATCARB in September 2011.
- Interpretation of 3D seismic data from Blan Well #1 in Kentucky was complete in September 2011.
- Preliminary analysis of the Knox Supergroup core taken from the ADM Decatur site was completed in December 2011 and is currently being integrated with wireline logging data.
Ongoing efforts include data interpretation of processed 2-D and 3-D seismic data and laboratory tests using core samples to determine geochemical reactions with CO2-rich brine.