Search All NETL Oil and Gas Documents or Search an Archive of Selected Documents
2014 Annual IOGCC Conference
Detailed project descriptions, including links to project related publications and publically available deliverables, are provided for many of the Oil and Natural Gas Technology program's current and completed projects.
Frozen Heat: A Global Outlook on Methane Hydrates
The United Nations Environmental Programme released this new, two-volume report in March 2015. Frozen Heat: A Global Outlook on Methane Hydrate details the science and history of gas hydrates, evaluates the current state of gas hydrate research, and explores the potential impact of this untapped natural gas source on the future global energy mix. An executive summary of report is also available. Researchers from the National Energy Technology Laboratory were part of an international team that contributed to the report.
- Volume 1—The role of gas hydrates in natural systems.
- Volume 2—The potential impacts of gas hydrates as a possible new and global energy resource.
- Executive Summary—A 32-page summary of the two-volume report.
Natural Gas & Oil Program Research Portfolio Reports
The Office of Fossil Energy (FE)/National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is releasing a series of nine Research Portfolio Reports to provide a snapshot of results and accomplishments completed to-date for active and completed projects under three focus areas: Unconventional Oil & Gas Resources; Ultra-Deepwater; and Small Producers. The reports capture research conducted over the last ten years under FE’s Natural Gas and Oil Program. Each report discusses the research challenges, accomplishments, and lessons learned as well as providing a 1-2 page summary for each project with links to final reports for completed projects. New reports will be available roughly every two weeks.
Environmental Impacts of Unconventional Natural Gas Development and Production
This report summarizes the current state of published descriptions of the potential environmental impacts of unconventional natural gas upstream operations within the Lower 48 United States. As a survey, this report is by no means exhaustive. The goal of this report is to ensure that the predominant concerns about unconventional natural gas development, as covered by current literature, are identified and described. The sources cited are publicly available documents. Multiple publications on similar topics are compared and contrasted based only on their technical and methodological distinctions. No opinion or endorsement of these works is intended or implied.
Program Fact Sheets
- New Airborne Technology Measures Ocean Surface Currents for Offshore Energy Production and Emergency Rescue Missions - April 11, 2016
- Project Captures First-Ever Comprehensive Hydraulic Fracturing Research Data from 1.5 Miles Underground - April 7, 2016
- Newly Released Study Highlights Significant Utica Shale Potential - October 9, 2015
- DOE-Sponsored Project to Study Shale Gas Production - June 26, 2015
- NETL-Supported Study Advances Exploration of Utica Shale Play - May 21, 2015
- NETL Collaborates with Partners to Produce Global Outlook on Natural Gas Hydrates - March 17, 2015
- NETL-Sponsored Study Confirms Vast Energy Resource in Residual Oil Zones - February 24, 2015
- DOE-Sponsored Project Tests Novel Method to Increase Oil Recovery - February 4, 2015
- Oil Operators Gain Powerful, User-Friendly Enhanced Oil Recovery Planning Software - December 15, 2014
- NETL’s BLOSOM Works to Predict and Prevent Underwater Oil Spills - December 10, 2014
- New Field Laboratories and Related Research To Help Promote Environmentally Prudent Development of Unconventional Resources - November 6, 2014
- New Project To Improve Characterization of U.S. Gas Hydrate Resources - October 22, 2014
- NETL Releases Hydraulic Fracturing Study - September 15, 2013
- Unconventional Oil and Gas Projects Help Reduce Environmental Impact of Development - April 17, 2014
- EDX - Share and Share Alike - November 26, 2013
- Energy Department Expands Research into Methane Hydrates, a Vast, Untapped Potential Energy Resource of the U.S. - November 20, 2013
- Wellbore Cement: Research That Begins Where the Sidewalk Ends - October 29, 2013
- Project Aids Development of Legacy Oilfield on Alaska's North Slope - October 21, 2013
- Expedition Provides New Insight on Gas Hydrates in Gulf of Mexico - May 14, 2013
- Interagency Collaboration to Address Environmental Impacts of Shale Gas Drilling -April 23, 2013
- Hydraulic Fracturing Data Collection Tools Improve Environmental Reporting, Monitoring, Protection - April 18, 2013
- DOE Accord Seeks Accelerated Development of Alaska's Vast Unconventional Energy Resources - April 17, 2013
- Innovative Technology Improves Upgrading Process for Unconventional Oil Resources - April 09, 2013
- Data from Innovative Methane Hydrate Test on Alaska's North Slope Now Available on NETL Website - March 11, 2013
- Alaskan Ice Road Water Supplies Augmented by Snow Barriers - March 06, 2013
E&P and Methane Hydrate Bibliographies
Oil & Natural Gas Project Reports
*Additional reports are available by using the searches provided at the top of this page.
- July 2016 Final Report 09122-32 A Geomechanical Model for Gas Shales Based on the Integration of Stress Measurements and Petrophysical Data From the Greater Marcellus Gas System [PDF-14.8MB]
- July 2016 Final Report DE-FE0009949 A New Approach to Understanding the Occurrence and Volume of Natural Gas Hydrate in the Northern Gulf of Mexico Using Petroleum Industry Well Logs [PDF-9.18MB]
- July, 2016 Final Project Report FWP-ESD-14089 Numerical and Laboratory Investigations for Maximization of Production from Tight/Shale Oil Reservoirs: From Fundamental Studies to Technology Development and Evaluation [PDF-3.54MB]
- July, 2016 Final Project Report FWP-ESD-14085 Understanding Water Controls on Shale Gas Mobilization into Fractures [PDF-6.92MB]
- July, 2016 Final Project Report FWP-ESD-14084 Laboratory and Numerical Investigation of Hydraulic Fracture Propagation and Permeability Evolution in Heterogeneous and Anisotropic Shale [PDF-9.9MB]
- July, 2016 Final Project Report DE-FE0005889 Case Studies of the ROZ CO2 Flood and the Combined ROZ/MPZ CO2 Flood at the Goldsmith Landreth Unit, Ector County, Texas [PDF 5.82MB]
- May, 2016 Final Project Report 11122-71 Water Handling and Enhanced Productivity from Gas Shales [PDF-7MB]
- April, 2016 Final Project Report 10121-4402-02 Qualification of Flexible Fiber Reinforced Pipe for 10,000-Foot Water Depths [PDF-4.15MB]
- March, 2016 Final Project Report 11123-03 Cost-Effective Treatment of Produced Water Using Co-Produced Energy Sources [PDF-3.17MB]
- March, 2016 Final Project Report 10121-4302-01 Ultra-High Conductivity Umbilicals: Polymer Nanotube Umbilicals (PNUs) [PDF-962KB]
- February, 2016 Final Project Report 10122-20 Development of Non-Contaminating Cryogenic Fracturing Technology for Shale and Tight Gas Reservoirs [PDF-25.4MB]
- February, 2016 Final Project Report DE-FE0010406 Controls on Methane Expulsion During Melting of Natural Gas Hydrate Systems [PDF-5.65MB]
- January, 2016 Final Project Report 11123-32 Water Management in Mature Oil Fields using Advanced Particle Gels [PDF-5.42MB]