Novel Solvent System for Post Combustion CO2 Capture
Project No.: DE-FE0005799
|ION Engineering Ionic Liquid
ION Engineering, LLC will conduct bench-scale testing of an amine-based solvent that employs an ionic liquid instead of water as the physical solvent, greatly reducing the regeneration energy while lowering process water usage. In addition to a 45 percent reduction in energy requirements (the need for stripping steam is eliminated, greatly reducing the energy penalty), an ionic liquid-amine solvent mixture offers higher CO2 working capacity, reduced corrosion, reduced solvent loss, smaller units with reduced capital costs, the ability to use lower quality steam in regeneration, and other benefits when compared to conventional aqueous amine solvents.
Related Papers and Publications:
- Ion Novel Solvent System for CO2 Capture [PDF-1.09MB] (July 2013) Presented by Nathan Brown, ION Engineering, LLC, 2013 NETL CO2 Capture Technology Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA
- ION Novel Solvent System for CO2 Capture [PDF-5.77MB] (July 2012)
Presented by Trevor Carlisle, ION Engineering LLC, 2012 NETL CO2 Capture Technology Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA
- Novel Solvent System for CO2 Capture Fact Sheet [PDF-327KB] (Nov 2011)
- ION Novel Solvent System for CO2 Capture [PDF-1.92MB] (Aug 2011)
Presented by Jerrod Hohman, ION Engineering, LLC, 2011 NETL CO2 Capture Technology Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA
- Novel Solvent System for CO2Capture [PDF-768KB] (Sept 2010)
Presented by ION Engineering, LLC, 2010 Annual NETL CO2 Capture Technology R&D Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA
- CO2 Capture Technology Status Sheet
- For further information on this project, contact the NETL Project Manager, I. Andrew Aurelio.